High School Credit System

You will be making big decisions

You will be making big decisions

You will be making big decisions

Kirsten Larsen, Sabrina Erler

High School Credit System

Earning credit is an important part of being able to graduate from high school. Since it is so important, we should be doing our best to earn credits right now when we are in middle school. Our eighth-grade classes have had the opportunity to be taught by our counselors about how to get credits, but our sixth and seventh graders may not know the importance yet. To graduate we need 26 credits, specifically 22 core classes and four for your endorsement. The classes that you can take are, English, math, science, social studies which are your core classes and then there are P.E., health, fine arts, technology, speech, and electives. You also need four credits for your specific endorsement.

In middle school, there are multiple opportunities to get credits. In seventh grade, you can take keyboarding and earn a credit, half a credit each semester. You can also take a language and get half a credit each semester as well. In eighth grade, you can get a credit by taking dollars and sense for one semester and P.E./health for the other. Also in eighth grade, you can get a credit if you take a language. Also, exclusive to eight graders is being able to take classes like algebra and journalism. The last way to earn credits is an elective credit, for example being in public speaking.

In high school, you are able to graduate with honors. Our counselor Mrs. Machado says “Now since everything is Pre-AP, IB, AP, dual credit it’s more like a distinguished level of achievement, or DLA,” Mrs. Machado tells us “Everybody in Texas should graduate under DLA, except for certain populations, because it’s a higher level of achievement.” “It is not mandatory but it is better for students to graduate with it.”

Earning high school credits should be very important for us if we want to graduate. We should take advantage of the opportunity we have to earn credits in middle school.