Internet Safety Assembly

Jason Nevarez

Jason Nevarez

Jason Nevarz, Editor

On January 4th and 5th there were two assembly’s that had taken place concerning internet safety. They gave a multitude of information on how the internet isn’t that safe. They told us about how some “apps” that we use can sometimes be very detrimental to our safety. They stated that (and I quote) ” If you have anywhere from 50 or people following you on “Snapchat” (a social media network) it is very possible that one of those followers are a child predator”. They told everyone about a social media celebrity “Colby Person” had conducted a social experiment which where he would figure out how young people would respond to complete strangers who are posing to be someone they are not. He created an alias who was supposed to be a 15-year-old boy, with young girls parents permission, he befriended these young girls on a couple different social media platforms. He got to know these girls over time and eventually got one to meet with him. He went to this girl’s house in the middle of the night to pick her up in a white van, little did she know it was Colby and this girl’s parents. She got in the van and to her surprise was greeted by her parents and Colby. This proved how some people are susceptible to crimes, like kidnapping, but most importantly she learned a lesson about not talking to strangers and being aware of the possibility that certain people aren’t who they say they are. They had also talked about a different case that had occurred in the past, it was about another young girl who was killed because of physical bullying and cyberbullying. The girl had been killed by other girls because they both liked the same guy. To sum the whole story in bite size chunk, basically what happened was that since she liked the same guy as these girls, these girls bullied her about it. They bullied her online and off line (in person).The people giving the presentation said that “they had called her names and bullied her through the internet and also did the same thing in real life till one day these girls decided to jump her in the bathroom. Before the girls had jumped her in the bathroom they had told other girls about what was going to happen. So, when the day of the attack these girls had beat her up and at one point they hit her girls head on the sink. The blow to her head was fatal or at least enough to cause her to be knocked out, the bystanders never reported the incident. The knock out basically caused internal bleeding with in her head which caused her to die. All of this could have been prevented if those girls never bullied her, and even if they did if someone had reported what happened and got help maybe that girl could still be here today. To see how other people felt about this problem in today’s world I asked a couple of my fellow class mates and one teacher. Due to all those events that had occurred I had decided that I should ask a couple people how they feel about this growing problem. I had asked a student in eighth grade named Jacob Armstrong how he felt about everything that had happened and how he feels about cyber bullying in general, he had said “just log off if your being cyber-bullied”. After interviewing Jacob Armstrong, I interviewed Samira Turiño and she said that “people are dumb and have no reason to be bullying someone online”, then I interviewed Mrs. Helen Clausen and she said “I am completely against cyberbullying”. Cyber bullying is widely looked down upon and the effects could be catastrophic to some people’s lives and the lives around them. 

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Internet Safety Assembly”

1. Angie Murillo on February 2nd, 2018 9:24 am

This article is very well written. I would suggest that next time you try to get pictures from the event.

[Reply]

2. Gillian Gotaas on February 2nd, 2018 9:24 am

This article was really good!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Internet Safety Assembly

All About I.B.

Healthy Family Classes

• Internet Safety Assembly

Showcase

UIL Student Preparation

• Internet Safety Assembly

All About I.B.

High School Credit System

• Internet Safety Assembly

All About I.B.

I.B. Community Project: Buy Socks, Change Lives

• Internet Safety Assembly

Showcase

Winter Time at Lincoln

• Internet Safety Assembly

Showcase

Lincoln Middle School – Science Fair

• Internet Safety Assembly

Showcase

Braden Aboud “B Warm Blanket Drive”

• J1 Staff

Lincoln Warriors Unite to Help Hurricane Harvey Survivors

• Showcase

Hundreds of Warriors Rock the Vote

• Showcase

Valentines Day Gram !!!!

Internet Safety Assembly