The Geography Bee

Michael Meinberg, Editor

The Geography Bee is a competition for students that tests their knowledge of the geography of the earth. This event happened on Friday, January 26, 2018, at 8:00 A.M. When a contestant signed up, they got a study guide with questions, but no answers, so they had to research the answers, and then study them.

This year there were only seven contestants, while last year there were many more, and there were no eighth graders competing this year. The winner this year was last years runner-up, a seventh grader named Andrew Griñé. This year’s runner-up was a sixth grader named Katie Kimberlin.

The winner, Andrew, said that the studying wasn’t too difficult, but it took some time to research all of the answers. “I was studying, and then it was like the nervousness took the pen away, but I got right back into it.” That is what Andrew said about being nervous while studying. He said, “It was pretty fun once the actual geography bee started, though.”

Gabriel Morron, who up until a week before the bee, was going to participate, said that “The study guide had a lot of questions, and you had to look up the answers for all of them, so that was a factor in why I didn’t participate.” This is a true statement and the study guide probably scared a lot of to be contestants away because it didn’t have answers.

The way that the elimination worked was you had the ability to get two questions wrong before you were out. I asked Mrs. Hines, one of the judges of the bee, along with Ms. Uribe, and she said”The elimination is the same as last year because it is the same as the spelling bee. ” She also said that she thinks that “It is a good process for the students because if you get nervous and say the wrong answer, even when you know what the correct one is, then you get another chance.”

That is how the elimination worked up until there were only two people left, at that point it became different. Then, once you got your second question wrong, the other contestant had to get two questions correct before it would be over, and then there would be a winner.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The Geography Bee”

1. Dylan Bozeman on February 2nd, 2018 9:13 am

very well written

[Reply]

2. Paul Martin on February 2nd, 2018 9:21 am

Really Nice

[Reply]

3. Gillian Gotaas on February 2nd, 2018 9:28 am

This is well written

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Geography Bee